Supplementary loop belt or child seat?
How children travel safely
The safety and comfort of our small passengers is our top priority. Infants are therefore secured to the lap of their parent with a special belt system, or travel in their own child seat. The supplementary loop belts are available as standard on board our aircraft. You do not need to book one in advance.
Bringing a child seat
You can also bring your own child seat free of charge. Please note that any child seats must be labelled with an ECE R 44/03 or ECE R 44/04 approval label. Unfortunately, we are not able to provide any child seats on board.
If you wish to bring a child seat or child restraint system with you on board, simply book an extra seat at child price.
It goes without saying that you or the chaperone sit in the seat directly next to your child. Please ensure that the child restraint system is in faultless condition. Please note that you are personally responsible for the affixing of the seat in the aircraft, as our crew are unfortunately unable to support you in checking and affixing the system.
Please understand that you will be required to check in the child seat as baggage if it cannot be properly attached to the aircraft seat.
Please remember that passengers with children in their own child seat (child restraint system) may not sit in the first and last two rows.
If you want a seat for your toddler (0-2 years), you must purchase a ticket at child tariff (2-11 years). Please make this booking by phone.
Please inform us that you are bringing a child seat at least 48 hours before departure. Simply send us an email at email@example.com (or a fax to +49 (0)30 610 818 088). Please only contact our Service Centre by telephone if you are departing within 72 hours: +49 (0)30 610 818 000*.
Which child restraint systems are suitable for flying?
Child seats that meet one of the following criteria are suitable for flying:
- Approved and labelled by the authority of a member state of the Joint Aviation Authorities (JAA), the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) or Transport Canada for exclusive use in aircraft, or
- Approved for use in motor vehicles according to the test standard ECE R44/03 or a later version, or
- Approved for use in motor vehicles and aircraft according to the Canadian CMVSS 213/213.1 standard, or
- Approved for use in motor vehicles and aircraft according to the US American FMVSS No. 213 standard.
- The child seat must additionally bear a sticker with the following text in red: “THIS CHILD RESTRAINT SYSTEM CONFORMS TO ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARDS” (and where applicable also: “THIS RESTRAINT IS CERTIFIED FOR USE IN MOTOR VEHICLES AND AIRCRAFT”).
In our experience, the following model with the seal of approval “For use in aircraft” of the German TÜV Rheinland has proven to be especially suitable: